Rajouri was a part of Poonch district of J & K State. This territory, earlier acquired by Maharaja Gulab Singh alongwith other parts of J & K State, in accordance with the provisions of the Amritsar treaty in 1846 between the British and the Sikhs, was passed on to his nephew Raja Moti Singh. Maharaja Gulab Singh paid an amount of Rs. 75 Lakhs to the British rulers. Raja Moti Singh was succeeded by Raja Baldev Singh and later by Raja Sukhdev Singh. Raja Sukhdev Singh was a great builder. He is credited with the building of Moti Mahal and other public buildings of Poonch town.